Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Spanish "Rice" recipe


As part of my "health kick" I've been using cauliflower a lot in place of carbs, such as cauliflower mash and even rice! (For example, my cauliflower fried rice recipe). One of my FAVORITES ever is Mexican food, especially the rice and beans, so this spanish cauliflower rice is a healthier version of one of my favs!!

You can definitely "rice" your own cauliflower by steaming it and then either grating it or pulsing it in a food processor, but let's be honest - pre-riced cauliflower saves a TON of work (especially on a busy weeknight), so I was excited to try this from Trader Joe's (they also have it at Target and Whole Foods in the packaged veggie section, by the bagged spinach/salad, etc.)


Spanish "Rice" (serves 4, 1 cup servings) 

1 16 oz bag fresh riced cauliflower, or homemade

10 oz tomato sauce
Small can of diced green chiles 
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup diced green onions 
3-4 garlic gloves, minced
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp cumin
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (plus more to top!) 

Salt & Pepper generously to taste. 


In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the green onion and cauliflower rice, approximately 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic, tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Lower temperature to medium-low/low and simmer until liquid has absorbed and has reduced. Remove from burner and stir in fresh cilantro. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. I topped ours with strips of grilled chicken, salsa, sour cream, avocado slices and more cilantro/green onions. 



Xo 

8 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Great recipe!! Love cauliflower rice to lighten up stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow does this ever look good!! I love that you can buy the bagged "rice". I love substituting cauliflower, this dish looks so colorful!! I want to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a food processor so I can make anything with cauliflower so I'm happy (like resllynhappy) to know that trader joes has it premise! Can't wait to try this out! xo, Biana

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious (even though I hate cauliflower, I know!!) and leave it to Trader Joe's to come up with something to make life a little easier!! :-) Thanks for sharing!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMS! This look so good! I'd never heard of cauliflower rice but it sounds yummy! :)
    Love your blog, I'm following! Hope on my blog and if you enjoy it, please follow me too! I would love to stay in touch :) xoxo

    the-not-so-girlygirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! I'm not a big fan of cauliflower because I feel it's so plain, but mixing it as spanish rice definitely gives me far more of an incentive to eat it.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea they sold riced cauliflower in stores!!! Uhh, I need to find that ASAP. And then make this because YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely going to try this! Also glad to hear they sell cauliflower rice at Target, too! I'll have to look out! Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are both across town, so I only get to make it to them every now and then!

    ReplyDelete

Scroll
to Top