Wednesday, October 28, 2015

What's Up Wednesday

How the heck is it the end of October already!? I feel like I JUST did the September "What's Up Wednesday" link-up, but no, here we are again. I still can't believe how fast this year is going by! 

Here's what we've been up to lately! 


What we're eating this week. We've been eating a lot of salads lately. I've been LOVING this one, with BBQ chicken marinated in taco seasoning and lime juice, on top of chopped romaine, avocado, cilantro, green onions, shredded jack cheese and a sriracha ranch dressing. Delish!


We also have been having more comfort food from the crockpot. We made this delicious "low carb" stroganoff recipe with a delicious red wine cream sauce, baby portabellas. I based mine off of this recipe, but used steak instead of meatballs. 


What I'm reminiscing about. Summer ... hahah. Already? Yes. I love fall but having a warm day or two would feel great. That or maybe I need a warm vacation where I can read on a beach. 

What I'm loving. Have you ever tried the macaroons at Whole Foods? I always thought these were kind of crunchy, stale looking cookies but they are NOT! They are delicious! I spent $20 bucks on a dozen, but they were worth every penny for a birthday treat. My fav? The pink "Strawberries & Champagne" one. 



What I'm dreading. The time change this weekend - ugh! I hate this one. I used to love it because it meant that it was an extra hour of sleep on the weekends. But once you have kids they don't "do" clock changes, so that means if the clock falls back they'll get up at 6 a.m. instead of 7. It's also my least favorite time of year in terms of "light" - aka, it's dark when I go to work and dark when I get home. Boo! 

What I'm working on. Finishing the kids' Christmas shopping! I'm almost done! And luckily they are too young to really notice because I haven't done a great job of hiding things! 

What I'm excited about. We're getting family pictures in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to figure out what we should wear to match but not look too matchy. Last time we all did black/denim, but this time I am kind of into a cream/grey/neutrals look. Pinterest has some fun inspiration, but I'm really not that creative so we'll see! Wouldn't be this formal, but I kind of like these color combos:

Love me some neutrals - can be infused with pops of color through accessories (earrings, scarves, headbands, etc.):

What I'm watching/reading. I've been watching Jane the Virgin on Netflix! It's so cute! Do any of you like this show? It's funny because it's filmed like a Spanish "telenovela" soap opera. The story line is kind of out there like soap opera ones are and there's a funny voice over that narrates things. I'm only a few episodes in, but it's super cute so far. 



What I'm wearing. 

What I'm going to do this weekend. Halloween! It'll be fun that it's on a Saturday this year so we don't have to race home after work to get the kids dressed. We'll probably start trick or treating early so it won't be dark yet and then finish with enough time so the kids can have a couple pieces of candy before bed. Here's Lila being silly next to a few ghosts at our local pool!


What I'm looking forward to next month. Thanksgiving! I love spending hours pouring over recipes only to make the same things every year - lol! THIS year though we are mixing it up and we rented a beach cabin on the water to spend Thanksgiving weekend! The nice thing is, it's only an hour drive away so our family can all still come join us but we can actually relax a bit more rather than cleaning our house, cooking and racing to other family members' homes. Check out the view and the little kayaks!!! Even though it'll be cold, I can't wait to park it on that patio with a giant cup of coffee!


What else is new? They aren't in season around here, but I love these pretty fall colored tulips from California at Whole Foods. 



Also, my mom got me the most adorable planter from a little boutique that has a fun owl vase and a bunch of succulents ferns planted in it. This isn't the best picture, but it's so cute!



Hope you are having a great week! Only two more days until the weekend - almost there!

Xo

14 comments:

  1. That salad looks delicious! I will definitely have to check out the macarons at Whole Foods, I had no idea they sold them! I'm with you on dreading the time change... Dark at 4pm is the most depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe October is almost over either! It's one of my favorite months and I feel like I didn't even get a chance to enjoy it! All the food looks so yummy--I need to make that salad! It sounds delicious!

    www.rosyoutlookblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a ROCK star!! I love everything you post!! I have never tried a macaroon!! I need a strawberry and champs one!! So I am a HUGE OWL lover, like I even have an Owl sweater so that planter is beyond cute!! Ugh for sure to time change!!! But yay to A Happy hump day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Struggled to get through your post because the salad stopped me, that looks so delicious!! Lila is adorable in between the two ghosts. Are they just over tables? Or are those actual kids underneath?

    I like the pinterest pic of being similar but not matchy. In our first wedding pic, we all picked from the same color palette. So my dress was had blues in it, and the blue from Kyle's shirt matched a few of the blues in the dress and Sophie's dress matched the door. So similar but not the same outfit for everyone. The next year we weren't so well coordinated...

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That crock pot stroganoff looks so good! And loving those pretty tulips! Love that owl planter, I LOVE owls too! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun that you rented a beach cabin for Thanksgiving - that sounds amazing! Definitely better than running all over the place to try and see everyone. And those macaroons look so good, love that they're not crunchy!

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great idea to use steak in the stroganoff recipe instead of meatballs. I'm going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whole foods has macaroons - i need to stop by and try some!!! I haven't watched this season of Jane the Virgin - need to binge on that! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness with all the food pictures. Everything looks extremely delicious. I love me some macaroons, I'll have to try them at WF once I"m done with my Whole30!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that owl vase! That salad seriously had me drooling. It looks so delicious! I started watching Gossip Girl from the beginning (I watched it for a while then stopped...and I already know who GG is but I feel like I need to watch it all) but I was tempted by Jane the Virgin. I think I'll watch that when I finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously, your meals look delicious! And a big yay for almost wrapping up the kids gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gonna have to save that salad! I am always looking for new salads to try!!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete

Scroll
to Top