Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Beef Stew


Ohh yes, bring out the comfort food. With Grant back from his "wilderness" hike, he was in the mood for some comfort food and so the season's first beef stew was in order! Normally I like to cook this kind of thing in the crock pot so I don't have to do much work (haha), but this recipe from the Pioneer Woman, whose recipes I LOVE, seemed perfect. Plus, I do love using my Dutch Oven. Then, because I worked from home yesterday, it was easy to whip up and work in the background while it "stewed" (get it? haha).


3 TBL olive oil
1 TBL butter
2 lbs meat (I used tri-tip steak from Costco, cut into big cubes)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 can/bottle of beer (I used Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest)
4 cups beef broth
1 TBL Worcestershire sauce
2-3 TBL tomato paste
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
3 TBL flour (I used Wondra sauce thickening flour)
Pepper to taste
2 big carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 "bag" small red potatoes (my store has those little small netted bags)
Fresh Italian parsley, minced (to taste - I love this!)



Heat the oil and butter in the pan and brown the beef. Remove it from the pan (I set mine aside on a plate) and throw in the garlic and onions, cooking until soft (3ish mins). Pour in the beer, broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, paprika, S&P. Then throw the meat back in, cover and simmer on low until the meat is VERY tender - about 2 hours. After two hours, add carrots and potatoes until they are cooked and the liquid is reduced, about 30 minutes. At this point, decide how much flour you want to add. If it's VERY soupy and you like it thicker, use all 3 TBL. Then let it simmer a bit longer with the lid off until it thickens to your liking.  Also - the meat should be very tender at this point. If it's not, continue to let it look. When you're ready to serve, stir in your parsley and ENJOY!

Note, rather than potatoes, her recipe called for turnips and parsnips, but I used potatoes because we had a bunch on hand we needed to use up.

PS - Grant and I decided that if we were to make this again, we'd omit the potatoes and instead make mashed potatoes to top it with - the broth is so delicious!!

Xo



10 comments:

  1. Oh yes oh YES! This looks so freaking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like the best comfort food ever. Especially now that the temps are cooler, this and chicken noodle soup are the best :) I love how you have so much beef in there, I know some beef stews are very paltry on the beef.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love beef stew so much, and this is the exact recipe we use! Just comforts the soul!! If I have time I make homemade biscuits but it's usually the frozen Pillsbury ones!! ;-) Hope you're having a terrific day beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made a stew before, but I'm game to try this one! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally pinning this! I LOVE beef stew on a chilly fall/winter night. This looks amazing and love the addition of Oktoberfest! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a huge sucker for beef stew and I love that you used oktoberfest! I find the beer help tenderize the beef. Now I'm craving this dish! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! We love beef stew and it's perfect for this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the PERFECT time to be making beef stew. Once I finish the soup I have made, i'm definitely going to make some beef stew and your recipe looks reeeallllll yummy :)

    ReplyDelete

Scroll
to Top