Thursday, October 1, 2015

A little bit about My Home State!

Washington state print by penmeetpaper on Etsy, $16.00:

Ahh, Washington state, my home! Today I'm linking up with Mattie and Julie's "Tell Us About It" prompt "Fav Things About Your State."

Have you ever been to Washington? It's a beautiful place. And no, I'm not talking about Washington, D.C. - I'm talking about Washington state! In the beautiful Pacific Northwest, we're lucky enough to have beaches, mountains, a temperate climate (never too hot or too cold, usually), loads of coffee, a great football team, tons of wineries, lots of hippies and nature enthusiasts,  and more. In short, it's a fabulous place to live. 

It's also the only state I've ever lived in, so I may be missing out. I do think it'd be nice to live somewhere warm year round, but I digress. 

Here are some fun Seattle stereotypes:
- It rains a ton. This is true but not what people think. When it rains here it's not like super hard rain, it's more often grey than rainy.
- We love our coffee. This is true. Starbucks HQ is here and so many coffee shops everywhere. 
- Fleece is "in." Yes, when you're told to dress up, there will be a token Seattleite or two wearing a fleece jacket. Guaranteed.  Nobody really dresses up here. 
- You're either a UW or a WSU fan - NEVER both, and it doesn't matter if you went to school at either.

As for me, I was born in Seattle but all of my childhood through to college on Whidbey Island, about 30 minutes north of Seattle. It's so pretty! You have to take a ferry to get there and everyone who lives there calls it "the Island." You say things like "are you going to town today," which really means, are you going over on the ferry to the mainland. You also know everyone. They know you. Sometimes this is good, and sometimes this is bad. Grant and I also were married on Whidbey. My parents don't live there anymore, so I don't get as many excuses to go back, but it was an excellent place to grow up. 

Whidbey Island Washington, Local Attractions on Whidbey Island, WA:

After high school, I went to Western Washington University in Bellingham, Wash. (go Vikings!). This is another equally amazing little college town surrounded by water, mountains and woods. It's also a short drive to Canada, so we went to Vancouver often during college. 

western washington university - I spent a lot of time on the top floor of this building.:

We love our trails and woods. There's a ton of great hiking here. Did you know the Twilight movies were partially filmed in Forks, WA? Picture Edward prancing through these woods ... 

After college, I moved to Seattle for a job. It was so fun living in the city. I was able to walk to work!! What I wouldn't give for that now that we live in the suburbs! 

In my opinion though, the best part about where we live is the outdoor beauty!! Everyone thinks it rains a ton in Seattle but that's not really true. It's often grey and overcast, but you also get a lot of views like this one: 


The other cool thing is that Western Washington and Eastern Washington are like two different states separated by the mountains. Western Washington (Seattle, etc) is very temperate. Eastern Washington has more extreme seasons - snow, hot summers, etc. They also have a majority of our delicious apple crops!


And wineries!! 


The other great thing is our many beaches. While they aren't tropical, they are quite pretty!!


We also love our trails and woods! Hiking abounds here and there's lots of room to explore the National Forests all over the state. Did you know the Twilight movies were partially filmed here? Can't you just picture Edward prancing through these woods? 


We also loooooove our Seahawks. Especially given two Superbowl appearances in the last two years (aka, LOTS more fans now than previous years). You can't go anywhere in the city without seeing a 12th man flag or sign somewhere, and everyone wears Seahawks gear on "Blue Fridays" - including most work offices!! Go Hawks!

Seahawks:

So there you have it! My home state!!! I love where I've been born and raised. Have you ever been to Seattle? What did you think!? 

Xo



10 comments:

  1. Such beautiful pictures! I live over on the East Coast of the US, and have never been to the state of Washington! I am definitely one who always thought it rains all the time there! Thanks for sharing a little bit about your home state :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seattle is 100% a place I want to visit! We are hoping to do an Alaskan Cruise sometime in the future and stop in Seattle to get the pick up from there!! It's so beautiful! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pics! I can't wait to go up there and visit Seattle and go to a Seahawks game. Give me all the coffee and wineries <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Looks absolutely beautiful and like a different world compared to Texas (except the wineries :)) I'm going to plan a trip soon!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Mattie have to be close right, city wise? Y'all live in the same state :) Y'alls state is really gorgeous makes me want to visit! Your city looks so nice compared to mine. And you know Grey's Anatomy does not help with the raining all of the time, that's half the show haha.

    liz jo @sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading more about Seattle! I've never been, but would love to visit! I grew up in Northern California so it looks like we have a lot of similar climate and nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to any of the islands north of Seattle and really want to! My stepsister went to WWU, so I've been to Bellingham for her graduation but I haven't since and I've heard it's really cool. I want to take a day trip, but we haven't because of our dogs. So much around here I need to explore! I also love that western and eastern Washington are SO different! Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realize you lived in Washington! Thanks for linking up and sharing so many awesome things! I'm moving up there next month and your post got me so excited. :)

    Whidbey Island sounds like an awesome place to grow up. I can't wait to check out so many places in WA.

    And since I've lived in California I'd say that having sunny weather all the time is a little overrated. I'm super excited for some weather in Seattle grey or not! Just a perfect excuse to wear my rain boots :)

    Have you been to little cheerful in bellingham? love that place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Washington looks like such a fabulous place to live! My great aunt and uncle live there and I remember loving it when we visited them a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seattle would be such a cool place to visit!!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete

Scroll
to Top