Tuesday, September 1, 2015

My 5 Favorite Fall Activities

And just like that, it's September!!! To me, even though we have a couple weeks of summer left, fall has officially begun. We had a great summer and had AMAZING weather, but I'm also excited for fall! It's such a festive time and I'm excited for so many things.

Today, I'm joining a Mattie and Julie to share my five favorite fall activities! (Technically they said to share your favorite activity - singular, but that's like picking your favorite child, so I'm listing my top 5!) 


Favorite Activity #1. Fall Wine Crush. For the past several years, we've hit the road with my parents and gone to Chelan in Eastern Washington for fall crush in Chelan wine country. This is where they harvest the grapes and "crush" them for the next crop of wine. We've never actually done the stomping, but LOVE going to Chelan, seeing the beautiful lake, swimming (it's warm there into October) and enjoying the pretty winery grounds. Last year was Owen's first year, and he enjoyed wine tasting too, ha!!

Unfortunately, you may have heard about the horrible wild fires in this year, and Chelan is one of the hardest areas hit. The smoke and fires have been so bad a lot of people haven't been able to make their trips there this summer, but I'm hoping by the end of September when we're scheduled to go it'll be OK again. Despite the sadness about the fires, this is one of our favorite annual trips and I hope to make more fun memories there this fall! 






Favorite Activity #2. Fall Cooking. I LOVE fall cooking - which means more crockpotting, roasting, baking and so on. We've done a ton of grilling all summer and love to use our BBQ so I'm sure that'll continue, but love to make comfort meals on Sundays. This is one of my favorite festive soups - Pumpkin Black Bean from Smitten Kitchen. Sounds weird but is sooo delicious!

 

Favorite Activity #3. Halloween. I may already have chosen our Halloween costumes this year. Lila has to be Elsa, so that was obvious, and Owen's costume will likely be a hand-me-down from Lila, but otherwise Grant and I have costumes too! Here is our family last year. Happy Halloween from Minnie Mouse (me), Toy Story's Jessie and Buzz Lightyear (Lila and Owen) and Grant as Marshawn Lynch (Seahawks player). 


Favorite Activity #4. Fall Decorating. I love decorating for fall because it's SO festive!! I already got my decor out and will be putting it up this week (stay tuned later this week!). As you saw from our recent power outage, I was able to get all my fall candles out early and it made for such a festive mood. 


Favorite Activity #5. Pumpkin Patching. This one is another favorite that we enjoy with the kids! We always load up a wheelbarrow full, and Lila likes picking a tiny one for herself. Last year, I was obsessed with Cinderella pumpkins. I love the colors and imperfect shapes! Our kids are too young to carve pumpkins (without stabbing someone), but picking them and getting hot chocolate is their favorite part anyway!




Can't wait to see what your other favorite activities are. I am going to decorate this week and will share Thursday!

Xo 



12 comments:

  1. OMG yes to all of your favorite fall activities! I love making soup and dips in the fall! And I love Halloween! The fall used to be my favorite season but now we don't get much of a fall down here :(
    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ALL your fall favorites. That is so neat you go see the grape crushing. I would love to do the actual stomping of the grapes. Super sad about the fires...hopefully you will still be able to make your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall just makes my heart sing!! It's the best time of year!! (Not that you didn't already knew my feelings about it ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up! I definitely went with the plural even though it was called 'favorite fall activity.' Hahaha oops! Those Cinderella pumpkins are awesome! I need those in my life. I love your Halloween costumes from last year! And I'm busting out my fall decor tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I still haven't gotten into wine at all, I just haven't picked up a taste for it.

    And yes crockpot meals are the best, especially when the nights get cooler.

    Kyle and I discussed our halloween outfits last night :) totally normal. Kyle and I picked out our first pumpkin together last year! Sophie helped too.

    liz jo @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going to grape crushing sounds so fun! Hope you're able to make it out there this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Fall decor and pumpkin patching!! Wine crushing?! Sounds like so much fun, so disappointing and saddening about the wild fires. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these sound like so much fun! I'm ready for the weather to cool down so I can get started on some soups and crockpot meals.

    xo, Carly - soak and simmer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for linking up today Kaitlin! :)

    That winery looks beautiful! I love seeing families dress up for Halloween, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pumpkin black bean soup??? Oh my gosh!!!! YES!! I love your sweet costumes...oh my gosh little buzz kills me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh using my crock pot is my favorite Fall thing to start doing again!! Wine crush looks like so much fun!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  12. This list is the best! :) I feel like every summer I forget about my crockpot - time to start looking for new recipes! And we bought a house this spring so I can't wait to start decorating it for fall and the holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Scroll
to Top