Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Shrimp scampi with squash "noodles"

 
A friend of mine posted this recipe on Facebook, and I had two summer squashes from my Mother-in-Law's garden on the counter just waiting to be cooked so I knew this would be perfect! Do you have/use a spiralizer? I never had, but it's a cheap little kitchen tool that cuts veggies into long strips, perfect for "noodles" or to use in salads, etc. I got mine for under $10 on Amazon and it worked great! Here's what they look like if you haven't seen one. I'm a huge kitchen gadget fan, so was happy to add this to my collection!
 
Spiral Slicer Spiralizer Complete Bundle - Vegetable Cutter - Zucchini Pasta Noodle Spaghetti Maker
 
For ours, I marinated a lb. of shrimp on lemon, garlic and olive oil and put them on skewers. While I was making the "noodles," Grant was grilling our shrimp on the BBQ and then we set aside until we the "noodles" were ready.
 
Shrimp Scampi with Squash "Noodles"
1 lb shrimp, grilled  (you can also get the pre-cooked kind and just heat them up if that's easier)
1 large summer squash (you can also use zucchini), spiralized into noodles
2 TBL garlic, minced
Juice of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
2 TBL butter
Parmesan
Fresh parsley
S&P to taste
 
Spiralize your squash or zucchini into a large bowl. Beware if you use garden grown veggies that are super large - they may not fit into your spiralizer. The best are the smaller cylindrical ones you see at the store. I was able to do mine halfway and then had to stop because they didn't fit anymore. I still got enough though!
 
 
In a large skillet, melt your butter on medium to low heat. Add your garlic and cook until fragrant. Add "noodles," lemon juice and zest. Cook for 2-3 minutes. They taste best if the noodles still have a "bite" to them but aren't raw. When cooked, mix in your parmesan to taste. I probably use more than the average person. I didn't have any fresh Italian Parsley, but that would be delicious miced up and added in! S&P to taste. Then top with your cooked shrimp.
 
 
ENJOY!
 
Xo
 


 


15 comments:

  1. This look soo yummy! I haven't hit the zoodles of the squash noodles train but I really need to! How easy is it to make it?

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this sounds delicious and healthy! I have heard about those spiraliers (is that even a word?) and am super intrigued by them. I may have to bite the bullet and purchase one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so fresh and delicious! I love shrimp! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to get on the zoodle bandwagon! I'm not really a shrimp fan but I've made chicken scampi before and it's delish!

    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had shrimp scamp in forever! Sounds so good and it's about time I pull out my spiralizer and make something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds devine! I have never made the spaghetti squash or zoodles myself at home but I've always wanted to try. My husband is not so sure, lol! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That looks delicious! The best part is that its healthy and I love shrimp!!

    www.artadorned.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh!! This is the best recipe I have seen in while. This sounds so good! I love your tool too. I use peeler but now I need one of those!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What pretty photos!!
    I would love to try this shrimp scampi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! I need to start using my sprializer again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious! I have a handheld spiralizer like the one pictured, but there are big fancy ones where it's a crank and I totally want one...I just don't want to pay for it! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks amazing! I haven't had the opportunity to try squash or zucchini noodles yet but it seems like everyone loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM!! And it looks like it's pretty healthy, too, not to mention easy to make :) win win win!
    xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m a big fan of veggie noodles and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. any sort of zoodle and i am IN! this looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Scroll
to Top