Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Closet Clean

If I were an MTV "True Life" star, my series would have to be "True Life: I can't keep my closet clean." (that or I'm a coffee addict ... ). 

To start at the beginning, our beautiful home was unfortunately not blessed with large closets. I had a bigger closet in one of my old college apartments!! On top of that, I was not blessed with the ability to not throw my clothes on the floor at the end of the day (#sorrymom). 

I had tangled hangers, stuffed drawers, clothes I haven't worn in 10 years. Clothes I can't find. And clothes I forgot I had. I even found clothes with tags still on! Score! My shelves were shoved full of clothes in random spots. 


And this pile was previously on the floor!


So enter, new thin velvet no slip hangers. I love these because they are thin (duh) but also the velvet is awesome because everything stays neatly in its place. 



Over the course of three days, I folded, donated, sorted and hung. At the end, I got rid of six huge bags of clothes, and three bags of hangers! 


And now- Ta Da!!! Still lacking serious space, but everything is neatly hung in order of "category" ... 


Shelves are cleaned out and organized ... 


And most importantly, the giant floor pile is now gone!


I need to do this a couple times a year moving forward so it doesn't get so bad! I seriously had about five of the same black tank top, four of the same white T-shirt, 20 bathing suits (!!!), some of Lila's socks in my sock drawer and a bunch of other random clothes I haven't worn in years.

Now I need to hit Pinterest to look for outfit ideas with my newly "found" clothes! ;)

xo

10 comments:

  1. I need to join your MTV series for the exact same problems! My closet never stays clean no matter how many times we clean it up! Also, I need your buffalo check booties....of course so I can match my girl's mini pair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I switch to those hangers a few years ago and it was one of the best things I have ever done. They made a world of difference in my closet. I love being able to see everything now. I try to keep my closet clean but it is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always go through my closet after every season and make the necessary purges. I can't wait to see a finished project of your closet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...I am proud of you after just seeing pictures. I am pretty sure there is nothing worse than cleaning out your closet....
    Look at all that space though!!! You go girl!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to do this, especially before colder weather hits. We have TINY closets in our home so it keeps my wardrobe realitively small but I could use those hangers for sure and I'm still holding on to those clothes that I promise will fit again but lets get real. ha!

    not a mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES those hangers are life-changing! And look at you getting rid of all of that! My problem now is that the clothes I'm getting rid of...are sitting in bags while I wait for someone to buy them on Poshmark. Eventually I'll just have to give in and donate them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been seriously considering buying these hangers lately. I had a mini-panic attack when I got married and realized I had to start sharing a closet. Half my clothes are in the guest bedroom closet and our bedroom closet is a hot mess with clothes all over the place. My next project is organized it and getting new hangers!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doesn't it feel amazing??!! Oh how I love a neat and organized closet and having matching hangers makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those hangers, but I need more for sure! Will you come do my closet? I'm dreading it. It needs a good cleaning out!!! UGH! You did a great job!
    The Busy Brunette
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! That looks amazing!!! Great job! Thanks for sharing at Waiting on...Wednesday! Hope to see you back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Scroll
to Top