Thursday, July 30, 2015

Loves & Hates

Gazing at the ocean can calm me any day any time :D

I always love when people post about their "pet peeves" but always feel bad being negative and try to focus on the positive instead. But! I was so excited to be "tagged" by the lovely Mattie of Northwest Native to post mine, so I'm going for it. I figured the balance of "loves" with the hates made it more positive right?!

So, without further ado, here are mine ...

Let's start on a positive note with my loves! I'm not going to go too obvious with things like "my kids" and "my family/friends" so just assume this is my list beyond those things ;)

LOVES

1. COFFEE. OK this is ridiculous, but coffee brings me SO much joy. I've mentioned that I'm trying to become more of a morning person and I seriously love having a warm cup of coffee every morning, alone, in the quiet house. I relish it. That said, I now drink coffee all day long. It's probably somewhat unhealthy, but I love it. LOVE! 

2. SUNSHINE. I'm a summer gal. I love warm sun, hot weather and tropical vacations. If you ask me to go on vacation somewhere that doesn't include beach time, it feels like more than a "trip" to me than a vacation. 

3. FALL. Summer is definitely my favorite season, but fall is a close second for many reasons. For me, first, I love the clothes. Cozy sweaters, boots, scarves, etc. The colors are beautiful and the smells are some of my favorite. Also, it's a nice change from the heat of summer, but isn't freezing yet. Also, my birthday is in October, and I feel like it's the gateway to the holidays! So many exciting things to look forward to between that, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas! 

4. MAGAZINES. I love to read and magazines are my guilty pleasure!! I love all kinds!! Last year two kids in our neighborhood were selling magazine subscriptions as a school fundraiser and I may have gone slightly overboard - but it was a nice excuse to subscribe to more than usual. 

5. CHRISTMAS. Now that we have kids, I just love how Christmas is so festive and magical. I now require we get our tree IMMEDIATELY after Thanksgiving (although I have contemplated doing it before Thanksgiving, I just can't - yet). I want the season to last as long as possible!!

6. HOSTING. I love to eat! But I also love to cook! I love having holidays at our home, hosting our family and spending hours pouring over recipe magazines and various blogs to curate the perfect menu. I'm known for making way too much food and always go a bit overboard (I'm trying to get better), but I love it. I am not so great at decorating for hosting, which is going to be one of my goals for this "season" but I love making fun new dishes and always having a signature cocktail to go with!

7. LAUGHS. I'm a pretty goofy person, and I've noticed the kids are starting to become that way too. We have our own little inside jokes/things we laugh about and it's so cute to have even little Owen try to make us laugh by doing goofy/silly things! He even tells knock knock jokes!!! 

8. BLOGS. I love reading blogs!!! I read so many and my list keeps growing and growing. The internet is a very weird thing. You can feel like you know people you've never met! Very cool. 

9. SALTWATER AIR. Growing up in the PNW (that's Pacific Northwest), I love when you step outside near the water and get the overwhelming fresh smell of saltwater air. I love it and it reminds me of home and the beach - my happy places! 

10. TRADITIONS. I am a routine gal, almost to a fault. I love having the same routine every day, no surprises and having traditions to go along with it. Grant is the complete opposite. He is all over the map when it comes to routines. At a restaurant, I order the same things over and over. He always orders something new. Also, having kids was a huge rude awakening for me. No matter how much I "planned" or tried to get a routine going, babies aren't routine - so I had to adjust. Despite this, I LOVE family traditions. I haven't really established these yet, but I want to have pizza Fridays, or have a "family spot" we always go for breakfast on Sundays. Something like that. I also love little holiday traditions and last year I tried to start a few -- for example, on Thanksgiving we gave the kids Christmas PJs and Christmas books to "kick off" the season. I can't wait to come up with more - if you have any great ones, please share!!


HATES. (I have my mom's voice ringing in my ears - don't say HATE, say "strongly dislike")

1. GETTING TOO LITTLE SLEEP. Again, having kids was a huge rude awakening for me, but I need a lot of sleep. 

2. "HOT" TERMS. OK, seriously, maybe I'm too old now, but terms like "bae" and "on fleek" drive me nuts. Bae sort of sounds like babe/baby, but then some people use it like "Someone is bae..." ?! What? That sounds like bad grammar or something. Also I don't understand "on fleek" ... who made that one up? 

3. "HOT" Menu Trends. I don't like it when something seems forced, and it seems like every restaurant in this area now has a kale salad, bacon-infused something, an egg with runny yolk on top of everything, and small plates (I want my own plate!). I get it, but I think being unique or not trying to conform is more fun! 

4. TALKING ON THE PHONE. Stealing this one from Mattie. I am so bad! Often, if someone calls me, I text or email back. I really don't like "chatting" - unless it's my parents. Then it doesn't bug me for some reason. 

5. SMALL TALK. I feel bad saying this, but I hate being forced into small talk with people when I'm out running errands, etc. Maybe it's because I don't get much alone time anymore and want some peace when I'm finally alone.  

6. OYSTERS. Sad but true. I want to like them. They are so elegant - yet I just can't. 

7. PEOPLE THAT LIKE TO TALK ABOUT "DRINKING." OK, we're not 21 anymore - it's not cool to talk about wanting to get drunk. I hate that!!!!!

8. COMMENTS ON YOUR PURCHASES. I know they mean well and are trying to make conversation, but I HATE it when grocery or store check out people make comments on what you are buying. "Ohh, having tacos tonight I see?" I feel bad being bothered by it, but that means they also notice things like - tampons and indigestion medicine, haha! No comments please, good or bad! 

9. MOM ADVICE. And by this I'm talking parenting advice, mom advice, bad baby name suggestions, pregnancy comments - anything in this realm. I don't mind the "well, we had to do this because XYZ." But I hate the "Ohhhh ... you use pacifiers?" or ... "OHH yeah my kids only eat natural/perfect foods and would NEVER want to eat chicken nuggets!" It's also shocking how many people comment on pregnancy size. I never minded a "when are you due?" but the "WOW! You are SO BIG!" - seriously!? Nobody wants to hear that! 

10. SWEATING. I shouldn't admit this but I hate sweating. I love classes like swimming because you don't get all hot and sweaty but get a good work out. I'm one of those people that gets a BEET red face when I work out so maybe that's why. 

So there you have it!!! I am not tagging anyone, but if you want to do it, PLEASE DO!!!!

xo

9 comments:

  1. I started reading the hates not realized that you had switched over and I got really confused lol!! I don't like to sweat while I'm not working out - it's the worst because there is nothing to show for it lol! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could totally be best friends, 1-5, 7-8, and 10 we're in complete agreement with for your loves, and well 1-10 for your hates, I mean dislikes :)

    My mom would always be like "now we don't hate anyone, you just don't like them."

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm we totally could be friends in real life :)! I love coffee and summer and hate hot terms and small talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could say ditto to basically everything on both lists except summer is not my favorite season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are we twins?! Coffee is my love language [and I've heard it actually isn't horrible for you], the summer is my fav, the ocean is an even bigger fav and I surely do love a good magazine. How fun is this post!

    not a mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree more to your loves and hates! Summer is by far my favorite season followed closely by fall! And I'm a huge believer that a little bit of salty air can cure anything :)

    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a moment there I was for sure that I wrote this post! lol! So many loves and hates we share :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally had the same thought when writing my post...I almost put 'bad drivers' in my hates but that was too close to saying I hate a person. I'll never say that I hate a person, ever! I may strongly dislike them, however. :) Haha. Also I hate 'bae' and 'on fleek' so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I am very much like you with so many of these! I love coffee, I need my sleep, and I've become addicted to blogs... AAHH! I love yours, by the way!
    The Busy Brunette
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Scroll
to Top