Thursday, July 2, 2015

Fourth of July Favorites!

I have an embarrassing and slightly party-pooperish confession. Ever since we've had kids I don't enjoy the 4th of July ... let's just say my entire (normally peaceful) neighborhood all seems to believe that LOUD explosions, bombs and illegal fireworks for the entire week leading up to the 4th, until a few days after, is the way to celebrate. I do not enjoy this. My sleeping children do not enjoy this, and the neighborhood dogs clearly don't enjoy this, as they howl and bark as the explosions go off over and over again. It's frankly, a week of being grumpy and annoyed.

So, I'm TRYING to stay positive this year (one year I even made us all flee to Grant's family's mountain cabin to avoid it all), and hoping that a bit of festiveness goes a long way to keeping my attitude on the positive side. 

Festiveness such as ... 

+ Decor! Ahh yes, by now everyone knows of my Glassybaby obsession. The nice thing about my growing collection is that I can make so many different color combos. This isn't a classic "American" blue, but doesn't this color combo remind you of a bomb-pop Popsicle? Love those! 


And of course, we have a beautiful flag flying high in front of our home. Which will  soon be swapped out with a Seahawks flag as soon as football season starts!


+ Attire! Us gals love getting into the spirit with our attire. Lila has a summer dress she calls her "Fourth of July" dress! I love wearing festive outfits too, with blue/white striped tank and red headband. SO fun!


Lila and I also still have matching red Saltwater sandals. These are perfect for us since they are cuter than water shoes, but also super functional for how often we go to the beach (see above picture - our beaches have lots of rocky barnacles!). Tip! If you wear a women's size 8, you can buy a big kids' 6 and it's the same size for a cheaper price! I got ours on Amazon. 


+ Fun! I love family traditions, and since I don't exactly enjoy staying in our neighborhood, last year we went to a 4th of July parade near in parents' town. It was festive, fun and the kids loved it. Then we went back to my parents' house for a BBQ before heading home in time for the kids' to go to sleep. 


Look at Owen last year!!! So tiny, and napping away despite all the loud noises of the parade, which included fire trucks blaring their sirens!! This year he won't want to sit still long enough to watch the parade, so it'll be interesting I'm sure! 


+ Food! To me, the 4th means a good excuse for a summer BBQ. Watermelon, cheeseburgers, corn on the cob, hot dogs, lots of salads and maybe even my s'mores rice krispie treats for dessert!



I'm linking up with Astleigh and Rachel once again - head on over to their pages to check out what others are doing for the holiday! Happy birthday, America!! 

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scroll
to Top