Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Acapulco Shrimp Cocktail (and Happy Birthday Grant!)

Today is my darling husband's birthday!!! We've now officially know each other 13 years!!! Crazy to think about how young we were when we met ... anyway, since it's mid-week and we are just planning to celebrate at home with the kids, I thought it'd be fun to share a 'sentimental' recipe of sorts.

You see, early in our relationship Grant gave me an ultimatum. (OK so "ultimatum" might be slightly dramatic, but I was a dramatic college student at the time!)

"I need to know that you're a GOOD cook if this relationship is going to go anywhere," he said.

Um, excuse me, at the time, I was 20 years old and lived in a college DORM -- it's not like I had a kitchen at my disposal to whip up anything other than a microwaveable Easy Mac! At the time, all I ate were the only edible things at our University's dining hall - cereal and salad bar. Ha!

And so, this is the first recipe I made for him - simple but fresh, crisp and amazing. Needless to say, he was impressed and apparently decided I was capable enough to continue dating (love you!)

Unlike a traditional shrimp cocktail, this Acapulco-inspired version from Chef Rick Bayless includes fresh lime, cilantro and avocado. Sometimes (like below), I add cherry tomatoes. I also like to serve them in martini glasses to make it feel like a special occasion. This is a great appetizer or light dinner. Great for guests too!!









Acapulco Shrimp Cocktail
1 lb fresh shrimp (cooked)
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
3/4 cup ketchup (I actually usually use a bit less and add more lime juice instead)
2 TBL Tabasco (I like to use the Chipotle kind)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup white onion, finely diced
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1 avocado, cubed
1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into fourths.

Gently mix all ingredients together, folding the avocado in gently as to not smash it! Chill in the refrigerator for an hour to let the flavors meld. Then serve in a fun glass dish (such as a martini glass) and garnish with a lime slice or extra cilantro sprigs.

ENJOY!!

xo


1 comment:

Scroll
to Top