Wednesday, December 17, 2014

To Santa or Not to Santa



A few weekends ago we got the kids dressed in their "Christmas best" and headed out to get their picture taken with Santa. We got there right when they opened, and both kids were excited to see all the cute toys and "Elves" while we waited in line. When it was our turn, Lila  jumped right up, excited as could be. But when she stepped up to Santa's chair, she turned and leapt into Mama's arms, wailing! I couldn't even pry her off of me. I felt horrible that we were traumatizing her for a simple photo, so this year, Owen got his picture taken alone! She's had her pic with Santa for the past three years, but this was the year he got to her.

Ever since she's been completely traumatized.

"Mama, I don't want Santa to come this year. I only want presents from you and Papa."

"Lila, he doesn't talk to you, he comes when you are asleep and leaves presents under the tree."

"WHAT!? I don't want him coming into our HOUSE!"

OK, so that notion is probably a tad weird to a 3 year old.

So, what to do!? Do you do the "Santa tradition?" Grant and I have discussed that we could just forget it all together. She seems more excited that it's "Jesus' birthday!" anyway. However, I still feel like waiting for Santa to come adds such a fun, magical element.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy her last three Santa pics!

2011, 2012, 2013

I'd love to know, what are your Santa traditions? And should we go ahead with Santa and hope the trauma subsides or bag it all together?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scroll
to Top