Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore

 
On December 23, before the flurry of the holiday dinners, I made a simple, hearty and delicious recipe that was perfect for a cold night at home. Not only was it easy, but it is one of my favorite recipes from Skinny Taste. Do you follow the Skinny Taste blog? The author's recipes are always great and healthy, which is a fabulous combo. She includes all the nutrition facts for each recipe as well, and her site is always on my daily reading.

I highly recommend this for a perfect weeknight dinner!

Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore, adapted from this recipe
3 frozen chicken breasts
3 'normal' sized cans of diced tomatoes
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 large onion, sliced
1 tsp dried oregano 
1 bay leaf
Salt and fresh pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh parsley for topping
 
Place all ingredients except parsley into the crockpot and cook on low for 8-10 hours. About 30 minutes before you are ready to serve, remove bay leaf and discard. Then remove chicken breasts and shred using two forks in a separate bowl. Before adding the chicken back into the sauce, blend the sauce directly in the crockpot using an immersion blender to your desired consistency (I left mine a bit chunky). Add chicken back to crockpot. Test the sauce to see if you need more salt/pepper (mine needed a bit more salt) and cook for another 30 minutes or so. Then, enjoy! I served mine over fettuccine noodles topped with more fresh parsley and parmesan, but you could eat plain or over rice or other noodles.


Speaking of Skinny Taste, I was thrilled to learn she was coming out with a cookbook and even more thrilled when I was recently sent a copy! The book features so many great recipes, from breakfast (including normal everyday breakfasts like smoothies), to appetizers, dinners and even dessert. The photographs are beautiful, and, as she does on her blog, the book includes nutrition facts for all the recipes, which is especially nice after the past month has been filled with cookies and indulgent treats.
 
I think this will be the first recipe I try ... Butternut Squash Lasagna Rolls - looks like an amazing meatless dinner and only 234 cals per serving! Win win!


Disclosure: I was given a free copy of this cookbook by blogging for books in exchange for my review. All opinions are obviously my own!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Scroll
to Top