Thursday, November 20, 2014

Thankful Thursday

image via pinterest

As I did last week, I'm continuing posting what I'm thankful for this holiday season. I think one of the things I always need to remember is what the holiday is about. It's easy to get wrapped up in the frenzy that is preparing for Thanksgiving dinner, racing through the day to get onto the Christmas Season, or even rushing through dinner so you can make it to Macy's when they open at 6 p.m. (I can't believe how early some of the stores are opening this year!! It's not "Black Friday" if they open on Thursday, but that's another topic ...). 

I thought the above definition was a good reminder that the day is about giving thanks for what we have. The Pilgrims' celebration was to give thanks for their plentiful harvest, and so we too give thanks for not only our ability to have an amazing feast, but for family and togetherness. 

Today I'm dedicating my thoughts to new Thanksgiving traditions I'm starting with my own family!

+ "Green" Friday. Instead of braving the malls for Black Friday (I'd rather do anything BUT shop on Black Friday), it's "Green Friday" in our house because we always get our Christmas tree!!! When I was a kid I always wanted to get our tree as soon as possible, but my Dad always said it was too early. So now that I get to decide, I make everyone bundle up and head out to pick up our tree! Then we spend the day decorating the house and grazing on Thanksgiving leftovers. It's perfect!! Here's Lila's first trip to the tree farm in 2011!


And here we are last year when I was HUGELY pregnant!



+ New Books and PJs! We LOVE books in our house, especially "seasonal" books. One new Christmas tradition I started last year for Lila was to have a wrapped book waiting on her bed on Christmas morning (as a surprise!). My mom had seen the idea somewhere, and I thought it sounded so fun. This year, I decided on Thanksgiving morning I'd have each of the kids open a new Christmas book and Christmas PJs! I haven't found the perfect PJs yet, but I did snag a couple books!



This Movie. This is more of an adults tradition for now, but ever since it came out (in 1995!!! Whoa!), my Mom and I have always watched "Home for the Holidays" at least once a season. When I lived at home we used to watch it the night before Thanksgiving. It's funny, a little sad, but really a fun reminder of family and Thanksgiving. Robert Downey, Jr. is great in it - and looks so young! And I love Aunt Gladys!! I also knew my BFF Tanya and I were kindred spirits when soon after we met she revealed she and her mom had the same tradition! Have you seen it? 


+ Zoo! I don't know if this will become a classic tradition or not, but last year on Thanksgiving morning we went to the zoo. It was an impromptu decision, but it was so fun! It wasn't crowded at ALL, it was a beautiful sunny but crisp cold day, and it was so nice to get outside and sip hot cocoa before the craziness of the afternoon! I think it'd be a fun tradition to keep for now, especially while the kids love it so much. Here we are last year, all bundled up!


I'd love to know what your family traditions are!! If you're looking for ideas, I thought this list had some really good ones too.

I'm linking up here for Thoughts for Thursday, so check it out.

PS!!! Are you a blogger?! Tomorrow is the last day to sign up for our Christmas Cheer Blogger Exchange!!! You'll be assigned another blogger to send a box of Christmas goodies to and you'll get one in return! Then we'll feature all on a link up! It'll be so fun! Email me (littlegoodiesblog at gmail.com), or read Astleigh's post with all the details!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scroll
to Top