Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pumpkin Black Bean Soup



I've made this recipe from Smitten Kitchen for as long as I can remember (ok, well at least since 2007 when she posted it). It sounds like an odd combo - pumpkin and black beans, but maybe that's because I usually reserve black beans for southwest-style cooking. Nevertheless, this is such a delicious fall favorite, hearty and one of my most beloved soup recipes.

I made a few changes to the recipe over the years (mainly because I don't keep sherry on hand), but mine doesn't taste much different than the original.






Three cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes 
2 medium-sized onions, chopped 
4 garlic cloves minced
2 TBL ground cumin
4 cups beef broth
1 can pumpkin puree
1/2 pound  cooked ham, cut into 1/8-inch dice (gasp - I used the pre-packaged kind, don't tell!)
3 TBL apple cider vinegar
1 TBL red wine vinegar
Olive Oil
Garnish with sour cream or plain greek yogurt if you like!

In a large soup pot or dutch oven, add a couple swirls of olive oil and add onion, garlic and cumin. Saute on medium heat until onion is soft and begins to brown. Add beans, tomatoes, broth and pumpkin. Simmer on low for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Using an immersion blender, blend to desired consistency. Add ham and vinegars and simmer for another 5 minutes. Note: if you don't have an immersion blender, get one, it's my favorite kitchen utensil. Kidding, but not really. You can also transfer to a normal blender and return to soup pot. 

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scroll
to Top