Thursday, August 7, 2014

One Pot "Jambalaya"



Now that I'm a working mom trying to figure out quick dinners, I love a good one pot meal. Less dishes, usually simple. This take on a jambalaya recipe was quick, easy, delicious and gobbled up by a toddler who didn't even stop ask "what dis?" to some of the ingredients!

I based mine off of this recipe, but changed a few things up based on what I had at home, and also to make it even easier.

One Pot Jambalaya
1 TBL olive oil
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 onion, chopped (I used frozen diced onions and just threw them straight into the pan!) 
2 garlic cloves, chopped (I used 1 TBL of the pre-chopped garlic in a jar you can get at the grocery store)
1 large tomato, chopped
1 package of andouille-style sausage, diced (I used this Aidells version - they are precooked)
1 box Zatarain's rice (I used the dirty rice mix, but I've also used the spanish style)
2 1/2 cups water (Note: If you don't use Zatarain's mix, follow whatever your rice's box instructions are)
1 lb large shrimp/prawns (I used the Costco Kirkland Signature frozen ones, so just had to thaw!)
3 TBL finely chopped fresh Italian parsley, to garnish

In a large pot or deep skillet with lid, heat oil and add onion and bell pepper, cook for about 2-3 minutes or until soft. 

Add the garlic, cooking about 2 minutes (careful not to burn!).

Add the tomato.

Add the box of rice, any other ingredients the box calls for (water, etc.) and follow box instructions. For mine, per the box, I brought to a boil, then reduced to simmer and cooked covered for 25 minutes (or until water is absorbed and rice is cooked). 

During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the chopped sausage and prawns and heat through. 

Mix in 2 TBL of the parsley, and garnish the top with the remaining 1 TBL. 

ENJOY! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Scroll
to Top