Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Chocolate Mini Biscotti with Hazelnut Glaze


I love coffee. LOVE it. I have it everyday, and would drink it all day long. I mean, I am from Seattle after all. There's a coffee shop on every corner, and drive through coffee stands on every road. We love our coffee. So what better to go with coffee than a delicious biscotti to dip in it. I decided that biscotti is basically a cookie that I feel more acceptable eating in the morning. 


The "double baking" aspect of biscotti always made me think it was too challenging to try at home, but when I saw this super simple recipe, I knew I had to give it a try! I made it my own, and will definitely be trying alternate variations for weekends to come. I made "mini" biscotti so I felt more justified in eating 20 more than one. Hee hee!


I can't wait to make more of these as we head into fall - when warm coffee and comfort foods are a must! I'm already dreaming of a pumpkin version with nutmeg glaze ... mmmm.


Mini Chocolate Biscotti with Hazelnut Glaze
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Combine cake mix, flour, eggs, butter and vanilla in large bowl until dough forms (I mixed/kneaded a bit with my hands to make sure it all combined properly).
3. Divide dough in half and shape into two long log shapes; place on baking sheet (will sort of look like two long baguettes - approx. 12x2 inch) Note: the original recipe says to "make your hand into a wide "C" shape, then press lightly on the dough log with your hand to get the biscotti shape - mine didn't need this, but could be helpful). 
4. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned
5. Cool on baking sheet for 15 minutes. Then, cut the logs into 1/2 slices
6. Arrange slices on the baking sheet, sides facing up
7. Bake for 10 more minutes and let cool completely 
Note - don't overbake or it gets crumbly! I like my biscotti a little softer than some, so start with less time if you like softer biscotti and increase as needed.

Hazelnut Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
4 TBL hazelnut creamer (I used Darigold's all-natural Hazelnut)

To make, combine powdered sugar with creamer, 1 TBL at a time until the desired consistency is reached. On the cool biscotti, drizzle glaze and let set. I dipped a soup spoon in the glaze and let it drizzle off onto the biscotti, moving the spoon back and forth until each was covered to my liking. 

Then - DEVOUR! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Scroll
to Top