Thursday, July 10, 2014

Green Enchilada Lasagna Casserole

Oh  my goodness. I LOVE green enchiladas. Enchiladas verdes. Yum Yum Yum. But, I make them a lot and was looking for a simple alternative. That's when my "enchilada lasagna" made with easy crockpot chicken was born. 

This recipe is so easy and can easily be frozen or made ahead. I made it the night before and popped it in the oven the next evening for dinner. 



Green Enchilada "Lasagna" Casserole
Serves 4 Goodalls  (or maybe 6 lighter eaters)

I don't have an exact recipe, but here's what I did:

Shopping List
- Three chicken breasts, shredded (see Crockpot instructions below)
- 28 oz can of green enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream (plus more for garnish)
- 2-3 TBL garlic (depending on taste)
- About 2 cups jack cheese (or other if you prefer - pepperjack or Mexican blend would be delicious too)
- 2-3 flour tortillas
- Toppings to garnish: green onions, cilantro, avocado - whatever you like! 

1. Put three average sized frozen chicken breasts into Crockpot (I used the frozen Kirkland Signature chicken from Costco)
2. Empty a 28 oz can of Enchilada Verde sauce on top (I used La Victoria brand)
3. Cook on high for about 3-4 hours
4. Discard about half of the liquid. Shred chicken with two forks, breaking up into shredded bite-sized pieces. Move chicken/enchilada sauce mixture to mixing bowl
5. Add 2-3 tablespoons of garlic to chicken mixture
6. Add a "heaping spoonful" of sour cream to chicken mixture (I used about 1/2 cup)
7. Mix in 1/2 cup of jack cheese (or pepperjack if you like spicier!) to chicken mixture; stir all until combined
8. Spread half of chicken mixture in bottom of 8x8 casserole dish
9. Top with 1 tortilla, ripped into large pieces to make fit into the dish
10. Top tortilla with sprinkling of cheese
11. Repeat for another layer! 
12. Top casserole with shredded cheese (I used about 1 cup of Jack cheese and a tiny bit of Mexican blend bagged cheese I had laying around in the fridge). 

Then, either refrigerate overnight, or bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly! Top with diced cilantro, green onions and sour cream.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Scroll
to Top